I've spent the week looking at my home with new eyes. After being out-of-town, and coming home again, little things stand out. Things I want to change. Things I want to throw away. Declutter. If we haven't used them in the year we've been here, do we really need it? Jen's brother, Chris, has a friend with a 2 week rule--if you aren't going to use it in the next 2 weeks, throw it away or give it away....That doesn't deal with seasonal things. Food storage, or clothes storage. Or craft storage (includes FABRIC for quilting!).
We brought up the last box packed of too-small-Max clothes, to see if any of them fit Sam yet. Almost. Just a few more inches, and the last boy in the family will grow into last hand-me-downs. As soon as clothes don't fit Sam, and they aren't gender-neutral enough to interest Roxie, they are out of the house into thrift store or love-bags to give to cousins or friends at church.

This is covert photographing in store--interesting plaques; I liked the bottom one the best, about fitting in...

Needlepoint family member of Jen's did, orginally a chair back decoration. This would make a nice quilt!

Moroccan plate.

Another Moroccan plate.

And my favorite plate--love the colors! Wouldn't this make a great quilt?!!?
My advice for the day: Save the things that inspire you, bring you joy. Throw out the ugly, depressing, non-functional. Take pictures of sentimental things, archive them, and throw out what isn't going to matter. Save things for art projects, collages, or shadow boxes, but be selective.
And if it is fabric, save it or give it to a quilter, who will know how to save it for just the right project!
4 comments:
I'm getting ready for a garage sale. Great inspiring words to keep me going with the "get rid of it" mentality. I love the plates and new slideshow too!
I love the moroccan plates. They are all so beautiful and inspiring. Good luck with your dejunking!
I'm glad you took pictures! The needlepoint was my mom's mom's. My Attie. I think those things will be inspiring for my mom when she's quilting too. Thanks for your help and great ideas!
I have been going through my whole house. The mountains of things we've given away and thrown away are amazing. Who knew we had so much stuff? It feels so good to get rid of it and simplify.
Post a Comment