Sunday, April 3, 2011

How Do You Know?

This year, instead of a musical (they switch off every year) the high school picked a Neal Simon comedy. Max was cast as the doctor. Here he is comforting his wife. I love seeing him act on stage, and I think he will make a great husband in reality. The kitchen/dinning room remodel-transition is still not finished, completely mudded or sanded, but I couldn't wait. After a sad pity-party morning (playing hymns, reading my patriarchal blessing, praying for help and feeling that painting would cheer me up) I spent the day covering up the orange that was still left on ceiling and walls. I did leave this orange shelf. I didn't want to wait any longer for the "someday" and I knew painting would keep the emotional dragons at bay. Painting helps me feel a smidgen of control over my environment, when so much is beyond my changing.

How do you know things will get better? How do you know it is all worth it, the struggles and the hard times?

Faith
Trust
Hope
Love
Courage
Endurance


This morning over hot malt-o-meal cereal & vanilla ice cream breakfast we went around the table talking about what impressed us so far in General Conference:

Elder Cook's talk about working moms made me cry & think about the reasons/priorities I am working...and to figure out a balance of nurturing and working for our financial survival-not for luxuries we don't need.

John shared his thoughts from the Priesthood Session "Don't Live Below Your Privilege." Rejoice, fully partake of the joy of the Gospel!

Max heard President Monson's talk (after the play I drove him up to the Church).

Roxie liked the talk about the boy holding still during radiation, listening to his dad's voice.

Sam wanted to know what radiation treatment meant.

Suzu liked the talk about desires influencing our choices that Elder Oaks gave.

3 comments:

Deb said...

Thank you for sharing the prayerful process you went through to overcome your sad feelings.

I'm not sure it's possible to really KNOW it will all be okay and worth it during a challenging experience. It might help if we can remember past challenges that we've overcome, hopefully endured well, or at least survived.

I remember Mom saying about Grandma Carlson something like, "She expects to be blessed because she's been blessed in the past." Confidence. Patience. Faith. Trust. Hope.

Jane Babcock said...

You made me want to listen to the first session of conference we missed while the men were trying to make the satellite work. I will do that tomorrow morning.

Lisa Chin said...

So many wonderful talks yesterday and today to uplift us all. I like hearing what my children get out of what they hear in conference.