Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Concept Cooking

I like reading recipes & watching others cook. But what I really love, is experimenting. Downside to that is doing something spectacular, and then trying to remember all the ingredients that went into that unique, one-of-a-kind batch. Sometimes NEVER to be recreated. I've tried to be better at documenting successful meals.

If you understand the concept behind a recipe--or the necessary elements, you can play! It is a little like understanding the chemicals and necessary textures/flavors/binders/heat requirements. That is a lot of variety, if you change something in a recipe, you need to balance it. You put in too much flour, you need more liquid. Or it is too wet, you can make pancakes or add more dry ingredients to turn batter back into muffins or cookies. I am still learning. And I think my lack of real recipe cooking has intimidated my children a little. How do you teach them to cook this way? Encourage them to experiment, and talk about what works, and what doesn't...

So, granola day. The concept for granola is to mix grains with a little fat, sugar, and liquid to bind it and cook it. One lady I know uses egg whites as a binder. No fat. Which is a great idea. I've been adjusting each time, trying to find perfect ratio of oats to nuts to bran to wheat germ to butter (YES!) and sweetness.

I do like the taste of butter. And brown sugar makes everything taste better...

This batch, I used 3/4 jar of raspberry jam in the liquid/sugar/fat mixture. Tasty, but the sesame seeds I added are too overpowering. And I could have used more raspberry flavor, omit the maple flavor from the syrup...next time!
Raspberry, coconut, pecan granola, coming to you via package soon!

7 comments:

Jane Babcock said...

I love the experimenting. Today I did an applesauce cake with half splenda. It was the recipe that used the most applesauce 3 cups, 1/2 cup butter and 3 1/2 cups flour. I tried sprinkling the top with brown sugar before baking, so no frosting would be necessary. It works -- a trick I learned at a funeral dinner last week.

Deb said...

Your granola is delicious!

You are braver than me in your cooking. Reminds me of Mom. :)

I use recipe books for certain things and feel braver with others. A lot of times, I just follow the directions on packages. I enjoy eating more than I enjoy cooking, but liking food so much helps me feel more motivated to cook.

Julie said...

My Rachel is like you. Me? I just don't know how. I feel most comfortable with a recipe as my crutch. :)

landbeck said...

We are SO lucky you let us live in your house and eat your food!

Lisa Chin said...

I certainly know where you got your love of food experimentation. This looks delicious! Great job!

BobandLu said...

My hangup with experimenting is the fear of wasting time and ingredients. The learning what doesn't work isn't worth it to me most times. I love allrecipes.com and the ratings, reviews and adjustments that the readers make to fine tune a recipe. I would like to be more brave though. January 1st resolution?
Mom and Dad, Peter saw your pic and knows who you are. Deb, your name is Bread-a. Looking forward to seeing you soon Landbecks!

Tiffany Rueckert said...

I made some with apple cider as the moisture/sweetness. yum!

I have always used the word spendthrift wrong. Thanks for the clarification.