Thursday, December 11, 2014

Extending a Quilt: Twin-to-Full Size

 Reversible quilt with new borders to make it big enough for a BIG GIRL bed!
A client bought a reversible comforter set, CIRCO brand, twin size, along with matching lamp, sheets, pillows...the whole investment package.  Then she found out her granddaughter was getting a big girl FULL size bed, and the twin was just too small. 

I auditioned many possibilities, adding borders, cutting off edge of quilt and inserting extension, ruffles, but finally settled for dissecting a thrifted scalloped-edge quilt, adding pom-pom yarn fringe on lighter side, and serious, but soft, velvet ribbon to hide join seam.

Cheating?  No, up-cycling!  I can't take credit for the great quilting, just the mash up!

Money Weakness Problem:  I hate/dis-like horribly/dread/ figuring out how much to charge a client.  Always.  When it is paint or fabric, it goes something like this:

New soft green full-size sheets @ Ollie's $19.99
Pom-pom yarn:  $3.99
velvet ribbon 10 yds @ Ollie's $2.99
thrifted king size scallop quilt:  $14.99
purple king-size suede-like bed ruffle as part of audition:  $6.99
24 inches of bias tape
thread to match

$48.95= close to cost of original quilt in bag from Target investment.  (It would have been CHEAPER TO JUST BUY A NEW, BIGGER SIZE QUILT instead of hiring me to sew...)

Not counting time/sewing labor.  Three-ish hours.  More like six hours.  Not counting the time I was thinking about it.

Here is my dilemma:  how do you charge fairly for sewing?  We work for pennies an hour, when you take out materials.  I learned years ago it was cheaper to thrift shop than sew clothing when you factor in pattern, fabric, additional specialty supplies.

If I deduct off for unused materials:  I can use center of quilt (the borderless one, now) as an art quilt and possibly sell or do a commission piece.  The purple suede bed ruffle is still awesome fabric for another project.  So subtract half of big scallop quilt and bed ruffle only takes away $14.

$ 35.00 for materials
$15.00 labor at $2.50/hour (cough, less, cough)

Charge $50.00????

I know what John would say.  This is why I never give a first impression paint quote.  I force myself to tell them I will get back with them after I talk to my financial manager (John).  Because I always low-ball it, out of some skewed pride.  I want people to like me, be pleased.  John reminds me how horrible they would feel if they found out I undercharged and cheated myself and family finances.  He always tells me to at lease double it, whatever figure I come up with on my own.

$150.00  (And she will never ask me to sew for her again!   

But $75.00, I could ask for that with a straight face, feel dignified, and worth it.  This is a stinking cute quilt!  Made by an artist.  An original.  So I should talk myself up to $90.00 which is close enough to $100.00

Maybe it is just a pride thing:  I want clients to automatically value my work and out of their own heart tip me above what I charge....?  And again, I can hear John rolling his eyes but diplomatically saying "They can't read your mind."

A couple of months ago a financial adviser's wife had a baby while I worked for him.  I made them dinner one night and gave them a library film ("Saving Mr. Banks") to watch, mini-date at home.  He neglected to turn in the DVD on time when he said he would (and I say they were sort of busy), and the overdue fine racked up to $12.00.  Which John thinks the financial adviser should pay him.  And I can see the reasoning, but I still feel bad asking for $.  Again, John reminds me of how badly the guy would feel if he found out.  John says it is a way to keep people honest.

Have I gone on long enough about this weakness of mine?

Take home message:  tip generously.  Pay your obligations.  And don't work for free, like I tend to.  Be rightfully proud of your good work, and honestly charge what it is worth.

2 comments:

Deb said...

This is a fascinating dilemma. I have no idea what I'd do. If you could figure out how much a project would cost and then warn them ahead of time it might be easiest. But I guess you don't always know until it's done. People like a good deal and sort of expect if from friends. And honesty is important. Maybe you could say, "This cost me ___, but since you're a great friend I've done it for you for ____," and let them decide what to do. ??? Hmm.

Emmalyn said...

I looks so cool!