This week I have been working in Hunt Valley, north of Baltimore, at the Community College, off of McCormick Road. I pass Schilling Road on the way to the site.
How did these roads get their names, I wonder? I vaguely remember stories from mother-by-marriage Sandy that there used to be a big seasoning factory near Inner Harbor. 20 years ago you could smell them as you drove by on 95, a pleasant memory in my earlier-I-am-so-impressed-with-my-boyfriend's-hometown phase.
This week I thought I must be driving by a great Mexican restaurant and then the wind would change, and I could smell roasted peppery garlic wafts. Not hamburgers, but intense spice, the way you can tell if someone is grilling in your neighborhood, how the smell carries pleasantly and you wish you were invited over to eat.
Today it smelled more Italian, lots of oregano and pepper and basil... (official website of McCormick talks about following)
.Vanilla
• Unjha Seed
• Sage
• Saffron
• Red Pepper
• Oregano
• Ginger
• Egyptian Basil
• Cumin
• Cloves
• Cinnamon
• Cardamom
• Black Pepper
• Anise
• Allspice
and more peppery smells. It was in the high 80's, very, very warm spring weather. I wonder if it affected the smells from ______ factory? I was in an industrial area, lots of big businesses. I can't quite tell what direction it is coming from. Just a really strong, appetizing, and consistent smell! Fascinating sensory experience!
Heat and yummy smells. The wind was blowing nicely when I finally left the building. I brought a personal electric fan to make fake wind for the classroom today. Every time I stopped reading aloud I would walk over and stand right in front of it to cool off.
As a huge favor: please go check the front of your living quarters RIGHT NOW and make sure your address is clearly posted! Not written in camouflaged old numbers that blend with your exterior! Be nice to the 2010 census workers! We are working for you!
2 comments:
Done - we are clear!
It's nice that you are getting plesant smells and not smelling garbage, or that lake smell we get when the winds blow right before a rain.
I love love smelling grilled food. Yum. Even at 10pm it sounds delicious. I need more practice and a good grilling coach.
Post a Comment