Saturday, May 9, 2009

Mothering Day

Stewart, Maxwell, Emmalyn, Suzanna, Samuel, Roxie

Dear Mom,

Nothing is coming in the mail to you to arrive today. I tried. I started. I sat down to make you a super-cute postcard but instead sewed on a button to Roxie's pj's inherited from Suzu (to make them modest). The day has passed to get that postcard in the mail on time. I will send it to you anyway, so please look for it this week.

Maybe the best way to honor you is just to tell you what kind of a mom I have grown to be. Probably more like you than I imagined I would be, and I see that as a compliment. A goal to grow and work towards.

Things you did that I thought bothered me when I was a teenager seem perfectly reasonable for me to do now.

I was making frosting and poured in powdered sugar while the mixer was whirling around too quickly. Sugar sprayed everywhere. I had to run out the door so I asked Stewart very calmly if he could clean up my mess for me. Not that this exact thing ever happened to me while living with you at home, but it made me think about how calm you were about seeming-to-me dreadful messes, and the chance you gave me to grow and learn, serve and clean. You are a great delegater or non-interferer when I took over certain things. Your calmness has been a good reminder that people matter more than things. Messes can wait, people can't. More Mary than Martha.

You served your children by feeding them. I try really hard to honor the dinner hour, making it special. Gathering and feeding people has brought me great joy. Nobody leaves our home hungry!

I still read--all kinds of books. I have memories of you reading in the car, between red stop lights. I read books that way, copying your example (not the car part, unless I am not driving!). Thank you for a good habit passed on. Reading is a lifestyle choice you made and shared with us.

I serve and volunteer at Church because of you and your example. It seemed like you were always Primary President or Relief Society President. I learned how to make visual aids from watching you. Each Sunday I get to share hours with the Primary kids, teaching and learning the Gospel of Jesus Christ with them. Nice to know that is a family legacy.

I am who I am because of you.




We go to the temple every month. It was thrilling to be there with siblings and spouses, even briefly. I wanted the picture so WE would remember the day, remember the planning and the miracles that bring family together when best-laid plans go awry. We are loved, and we love each other, even spread out geographically. Your temple service is another goal of mine. Thank you for making that a priority in your life.

Thank you, thank you, for being a mom. I am glad you chose to have children when you were young and newly married. Sometimes timing is everything! I feel blessed for the choices John and I made to have our kids right away, and not wait for the perfect financial time. If we had put it off, they wouldn't all be here. I had a health deadline. Thank you for your support with each pregnancy and the Douala-live-in-grandma time you have spent with each of my babies.

They are getting so independent! Taller than me. Smarter. Stronger. Emotionally mature in ways that amaze me. Sometimes I wonder if they need me at all anymore. Usually that is about the time Roxie comes and gives me a hug while I am typing, or Sam snuggles in on the couch while we are doing scriptures as a family. Or the late night talks when the older kids get home from an activity.

Mothering just keeps going. Changes (no diapers right now...) in good ways.

Grandma-hood is still a ways off, so I haven't followed you into the next season yet. It is actually very nice to be able to watch you and see what is in store for me!

I love you,
Jennilyn (when people compliment me on my name and they say it right, I tell them, "That's how my momma says it!")

3 comments:

Fine Art by Jennifer said...

Very nice, I'm getting teary.

landbeck said...

I hope that our children turn out to emulate you to that degree as well. Happy Mother's Day!

Lisa Chin said...

That is a beautiful tribute. I'll hug your Mom for you when I see her tomorrow. Well hopefully she will be here, it's hard to know when she will be off mothering another baby. I love that about her! She is such a great example for me.