Monday, March 24, 2014

Copper "Gazing" Ball for Garden

The bowling ball was a $5.00 thrift store find.  Already a copper swirly color.  I washed the pennies off with alcohol (then let dry) before using glue (glue found at HM, "Go2Glue" but I like E6000 better, but was out).  Duct tape helped to hold them in place while they dried (so they wouldn't slide off).  Notice bowl to hold bowling ball and keep it from rolling off the counter top.  I only did one or two rows at most, let them dry, before adding more rows--so this is not a one afternoon project.  Days of drying, turning ball, making sure pennies weren't sliding off and escaping.  Used heads showing unless it was a shield penny or a wheat penny.  I did not seal it with anything--I want the patina of aged copper.

3 comments:

Deb said...

That is very very cool. Time to keep my eyes open for a bowling ball.

Jane Babcock said...

I hope noone walks off with it. I agree. I will look for bowling balls as well.

Emmalyn said...

That is great! A patience building project ! I feel like I've heard that pennies keep slugs away - is that true? Or am I making that up?