I love LOVE color, bright saturated colors, all together. For awhile I have been making over our living room to Radiant Orchid, combining the teal and blues and greens, very analogous color scheme.
As I was pinning one day and looking at trends, I was startled into the "duh" moment of moves towards neutrality. Why neutral? Why blah/boring/subtle? Is it really more calming, serene, relaxing? Experiment motivation, and I just had to see what it would look like, try it on.
I painted. Kept the same lines, just neutralized everything.
Bleached a few things. I laughed at all the things that are decidedly NOT neutral in our home. On purpose. No wonder people seeing it for the first time are overwhelmed, hit in the face with so much to look at...
I rearranged art and looked for less bright things, hung up a feed sack on stretcher bars.
Made burlap header for gray curtains, painted out the blue/green faux bois, even painted out the black stripes in hallway...Everything toned down...How long will it last? Trying to find my permanent forever home style. Using what we have.
4 comments:
Fun change! I think contrast is sometimes just as exciting to me as color. It can be in architecture or textures or neutral paints... Change for change's sake is nice too!
It's an interesting change! I think it is great that you can switch things up! I think you will always be changing things here and there when you see exciting new ideas.
I admire your energy and motivation to experiment. Neutral can be good. Variety is excellent. I get bored easily but don't always feel motivated.
I miss the Orchid, it wasn't here long enough, but the new look is very beautiful too! It's fun to "just see what it would look like."
Post a Comment