Saturday, October 18, 2014

Kilts instead of Quilts this week!


































The combined stake LDS youth dance tonight is a costume dance:  come as a family history member.

So I made Sam a kilt.  It took a very long time, but I am excited about making more!

I had some Stewart Royal wool in my stash, thinking I would make something for our son, Stewart someday...Researched the process, started trying it on Sam to see how big to make the pleats...

And I have learned all kinds of new vocabulary, pleating to the sett, fells, stetting the pleats so they don't fall down, and the goal to have no stepping of the pattern in the back, just smooth, horizontal lines.  LOVE how the plaid changes when it is pleated, almost looks like a different pattern in the back.  Pleats only in the back, smooth front aprons overlapping, held down (just top layer) by kilt pin.

My favorite helpful website was USA Kilts , just 1.5 hours away in PA.  So I took a road trip to buy "hose" and they just happened to have a used pair of guilles brouges in the right size for super cheap.  I think the shoes are my favorite part!  Criss-crossed up the calves.  And the flashes-the ribbon pennant garters--ok to match tartan in solid colors or use tartan fabric (gauche to mix tartans, hmmm). 

The staff was super helpful, gave me a HUGE sample of Davidson tartan to take home, which Roxie is in love with. 

I made a sporran  from a Goodwill purse, fur trimmed and held on by ribbon.

Yes, he wore shorts underneath.  He looked confident, happy, ready for the dance!

4 comments:

Emmalyn said...

What am awesome kilt! Sam looks fantastic. :)

Deb said...

Super cool. Now perhaps you can have kilt discussions with our ancestors in the after life some day.

Jane Babcock said...

This is wonderful. I am so glad you figured out how to do it. My Mom would be proud of you and very happy.

landbeck said...

It was *magnificent*!