Monday, February 24, 2014

Morphing Living Room, Again

I have a little friend who comes over on Wednesdays to play who was very, very concerned 2 weeks ago when he saw the harp missing from the right of the fireplace.  Averett grabbed my hand in his three year old insistent way and brought me to the spot and repeatedly asked me where it was.  We moved it into the sewing room for early-morning safety---I have up to 13 Bible study students still walking through here in the dark early hours and it was getting too much attention.   Our 13 year old harp tuner musician genius friend plays it safely while Roxie plays games on my computer, and it has worked out great.

I've been thinking about color change for the ceiling for awhile:  constellation with stars, mixing the turquoise and purples...I had Utah Benjamin Moore Blue skies with clouds painted on it years ago...The triangle ceiling has been fun, but I am ready for a change.  I took down the horizontal grey and white (wrapping paper) stripes from the mantle to expose analogous faux bois!  I've been thinking about making it look like the Ikea wood fabric, greys, to tone it down again  (when I do the ceiling).



Maybe it is a seasonal or a holiday thing, or trying out Pantone's color of the year Radiant Orchid, but I tried some bleach pen writing on some thrifted fuchsia sheets and made pillow coverings, and dyed the faded ocher couch cushions with purple Rit dye...made a flower ruffle pillow because I wanted to try it out, recovered the table with magenta vinyl... 
And made a HUGE "cocktail straw" wreath using instructions from Vintage Revival.  I learned that floral wire is much, much cheaper than the jewelry wire, even in same store, same gauge.  And "coffee stirrers" are not stronger than "cocktail straws."  (Notice the little bending curve bottom left.)  I spray painted this one red and love how it looks, love the geometry.  I made a smaller one following VR directions to cut straws down that I hung in front door shown on INSTAGRAM.  Easier than it looks to make, and fun!
(PS.  This week I moved Jen's chair painting to this spot in the living room, moved this wreath to dinning room window, and hung Stewart's orange quilt in the front hallway opposite "Love and serve 1 Another" sign which hangs above the arch.  Another example of domino decorating, move one thing, something else moves...)

3 comments:

Jane Babcock said...

I love the purple and orchid

Deb said...

Looks very inviting and fun.

Emmalyn said...

I like the purple! Its bright and happy! I like seeing the mantle again. And a constellation ceiling would be fun! And funny to think of averett being so insistant!