Saturday, September 10, 2011

Why I Need a Community: Q & Exercise

Left alone with my own thoughts, I often spiral into despair, start seeing negative-worse-case-scenario details.  I need to stay busy, distracted, active, positive, optimistic with action. 
I need to ask for help, talk to others, let go of the pride that makes me too independent.  Be vulnerable and real, honest, and not fear that it makes me look weak.
Polly's quilt is finished, finally.  T-shirts and ties from her late husband, sweet Bro. Scoville.  I found the Ethiopian-looking fabrics for the backing and behind the ties to fit in with his Peace Corps days.  Amazing how much personality comes through, just looking at this.  Quilting by my friend Shirley "Cabin in the Woods" pattern, on her long-arm.  I could not have finished this without her help.  It took a year longer than I promised.  But it is done and delivered (Brother John stopped by last night.)
Exercise by appointment works really, really well for me.  At the beginning of the summer, this neighbor-friend called me up and asked if I wanted to walk with her in the mornings.  She walks fast.  I huffed and puffed trying to keep up those first weeks.  Gave myself horrible shin splints.  Thought I would die.  But it has gotten easier.  I feel stronger.  I can breather easier.  My heart rate stays below 120 briskly walking at 3.8 miles an hour (John and I went to the gym today and used the machines with the technology). We weave in between our two homes, up and down the alleys for 45 minutes on school days, longer on Saturday/holidays.  Sunday we rest.  We've only been rained out once.  When she went on vacation she texted me that she was walking, and when I went, I told her I was, too.  There is  power in reporting in, being accountable, having a buddy who is expecting you, waiting for you.  On Labor Day we both showed up in sparkly t-shirts and I had to get a photo, when we looked beautiful, not all sweaty.  Do the scales lie?  The clothes fit better.  Still a long  way from my goal, but moving the right direction.  Walk & talk power.

6 comments:

Julie said...

Oh, I am a firm believer in "walk and talk power". I know I wouldn't be a consistent exerciser if it weren't for my friends who I know are waiting for me.

Lisa Chin said...

Love the quilt! I love the way you put the ties across the ethnic fabric. Looks fabulous.

Walking with a friend is so therapeutic! I've always done better when I have someone who is counting on me to be there to exercise with them. I have started a twice a week program that has made me stronger. Need to find something for the days inbetween.

Jane Babcock said...

Seminary has complicated early morning, my best walking time. We will have to figure out something. Days get hot here.

Deb said...

You look healthy and happy. You walk fast! It's slow going for me these days.

I like the quilt too.

Jane Babcock said...

Beautiful quilt. It turned out really well.

Fine Art by Jennifer said...

My mom LOVES the quilt! I wanted to tell you how wonderful I think it is too. The shirts have all of his loves represented. The ties are placed in a dynamic way so they look like roads or tracks. It really fits with the transportation theme of my dad's career. The background fabric is a perfect addition. It was worth waiting for!