Saturday, September 24, 2011

Working Wardrobe?

Once a week I go into a fancy office wearing a skirt, dress shoes, nice blouse.  Earrings.  My engagement diamond.  I style my hair, make sure my make-up is conservatively modest.  The rest of the week, depends on the project!
I can dream about being the star decorator on HGTV someday...The worse part about being on one of those tv decorating shows:  what to wear?  Really?  I am a messy painter, making sure tarps are down.  The artists look fake to me, when they are duded up fancy, wearing new/clean/stylin' clothing. 
I paint wild!  Clothed.  Crazy hair.  No jewelry.  Often mis-matched.

I read a wardrobe book that said a normal adult person should only have one set of "paint clothes."

I have enough to wear for a week, changing every day twice...

How does one acquire such a wardrobe?  Years of painting projects/messes.  I use my shirt to wipe paint boogers (stray brush hairs, dried bits of paint, dog hairs in a hairy house, spiders that crawl the wrong way) I've pulled off the wall (usually I wipe them off my shoulder, where it can dry chunky).  If I don't have a rag or paper towel handy, I have used the hem of my shirt to scrub wet paint off.  And my elbow.  Some clothes have become paint clothes when I forgot/too much in a hurry to change.  Comfy stretchy pants are a priority, but not ones that are falling off if you have to hoist them up often...  POCKETS are great (love my overalls).  My orange crocs are now painting shoes after doing fire hydrants, plus I learned from my brilliant sister-by-marriage/shoe z-coil salesman that painting barefoot on cold tiles was probably the reason my feet hurt so badly...

I even have painting socks.  And a painting manicure (that's a joke).  And my (stupid, as opposed to "smart") phone is now a painting phone. 

(I do try and change out of them before I pick the kids up for school or show up in public. My favorite place to go in paint clothes is Home Depot. And the grocery store. Not the mission thrift store. She almost didn't charge me anything when I went in looking derelict and homeless, in my working clothes.  "That'll be a dollar, hon."  I must have looked really down on my luck.)

4 comments:

Rachel said...

haha!

Lisa Chin said...

Hahahaha Had you been in the Mission Thrift Store before? I love your painting clothes and you look awesome in them. They are the sign of a hard working woman. :D

Jane Babcock said...

Fun post. It almost inspires me to paint.

Deb said...

I love hearing about the process of your work and seeing the beautiful results too.