Friday, February 24, 2012

June Wedding Thoughts

My daughter will be a June bride! I am thankful she has found someone who makes her so happy. It if fun to plan a celebration party, but difficult to explain to dear non-member friends why they won't be invited (inside the temple) to the actual ceremony, but how much we want them there at the reception. Her sweet boss was a little confused why Emma's younger siblings and even her great grandma won't witness the event. Delicate matter to explain. It isn't out of disrespect or lack of love or wanting to include them. There is plenty of room inside, so it is not for lack of venue seating. They can wait outside, see her when she comes out officially married and pictures together.

The focus of all of this festivity: my daughter is getting ready to go to the temple. From the above lds.org link: "Temples are places of learning. Their principal purpose is to provide ordinances necessary for the children of God to enable them to return to dwell with Him. Temple ordinances lead to the greatest blessings available through the Atonement of Jesus Christ. Everything in the Church—the meetings and activities, the missionary efforts, the lessons taught and the hymns—all lead to the work done in holy temples.

One ordinance received in the temple is called the endowment. The word endowment means "gift," and the temple endowment truly is a gift from God. The ordinance consists of a series of instructions and includes covenants to live righteously and follow the requirements of the gospel. The endowment focuses on the Savior, His role in Heavenly Father's plan, and the personal commitment of each member to follow Him.

Another temple ordinance is celestial marriage. In this ordinance husband and wife are sealed to one another for eternity. A sealing performed in the temple continues forever if the husband and wife are faithful to the covenants they make."
I found this crayon drawing when I was cleaning out some old files this month. I remember drawing that turquoise dress, but forgot I was only 4 years old. In Mom's writing on the back, "June 15, 1970 Daddy and Mama going into the temple to be married." I knew from a young age that my parents were married in the temple. It is what I wanted, what I got! It is what I hope for all my children. I asked Suzu if she felt bad that she won't be there to see Emma married: "No...but I hope she comes to mine!"

2 comments:

John said...

AMEN!

John said...

Not sure how to respond...like you say, this topic triggers a lot of deep feelings. Before I went to the temple, my favorite place to be was on any mountain top. Then, it was to be in any of the temples. Then, after I met Jen, my favorite place to be was anywhere, in her embrace.