We have been supporting the dental school, across the river ($6 toll now!). You have to plan for the entire morning of "class." You get checked by the student, and then approved checked by their teacher. It is early in the semester, so my appointment took so long that I have to go back for the actual cleaning (I think I was her first ever patient). They give a $50.00 discount on your bill, insurance pays for rest, so it is a good deal if you don't mind the wait. Patient patients needed!
The next day, when I took Roxie, the teacher told the student hygenist that it was okay to use mom to help keep her mouth dry for the sealants to stick. So she tossed me blue gloves, and I got to hold Roxie's tongue out of the way and push on her cheek to keep the dry-angle over her salivary gland (super wet mouth, like I have) so the hygenist could apply the pink goop inbetween the groovy indentations on Roxie's molars and set them with the lamp and they turn white. It was a moment that would have been PERFECT for a photo-op!
Sam has 2 cavities (he inherited my softer teeth); Roxie none. Max has some decay that they want to fix, not an official cavity, but good practice-teaching for them. Suzu goes in a couple of weeks and her wisdom teeth have started to erupt, so we shall see what they say.
I learned how important SALIVA is! It is better for your teeth to wait 30 minutes after you eat to brush. Saliva is good for your teeth, protects them.
4 comments:
One dentist I was trying out asked me if I kept my mouth open while I ride my bike. He told me, like you 're saying, that it is better for my teeth if my mouth doesn't dry out. In the end, after hearing his long-range treatment plans for me, I decided not to set foot in his office again, but it is interesting to hear validation on saliva.
I should brush my teeth more. Ken is very diligent immediately after eating and has very few cavities. Strong teeth.
I need to remember to floss more...
I didn't realize it saliva's importance.
Very interesting! Looks like the students aren't the only ones learning at the dental school.
Post a Comment