Tuesday, May 28, 2013

"Hello, Daddy!" she said

The kids helped pull the grass away from the family headstones.  Nice to see the flag for their great, great grandpa. 
John asked if her dad was bawdy, like Billie.  She told us she got her humor from him, that he was funny, witty, danced and could cut up a stage.  He died younger than I realized.  Her mom was a widow for a long time, even marrying again, 2nd husband died 12 years after her first.

It was good to see the names, the dates, hear a little more about my children's ancestors.  Good tradition.  (Need to research how to clean the stone without damaging it.  Hydrogen peroxide to get rid of mildew stains?)

4 comments:

Jane Babcock said...

Good memorial day memories

Deb said...

You are blessed to have a loving and interesting extended family.

Mercedes said...

It looks like a limestone marker. I know the urge to want to clean it, but don't. Limestone is extremely soft/porous and you may do more harm than good. I regretted photographing a particularly old one as a part of a transcription project. He died in 1814 and I received a lot of e-mails about him. When I went back 6 months later it appeared many had tried to rub the stone because you couldn't read the name any more. Let the staining give it character!

Emmalyn said...

Love that picture!!

Wish we were there to swap kisses.

I love Hydrogen Peroxide for cleaning! But if that is limestone- you don't want anything acidic on it.