Saturday, January 25, 2014

Happy Valentine's Day to Your Hands (and His) a Little Early While it is SO COLD OUTSIDE!

My mom blogged about their smitten and I was intrigued!  Fantastic idea:  a mitten that allows you to hold hands with your sweetheart (or a young child) and stay warm, skin contact without having to switch back and forth between coat pockets...Perfect for walks in the cold!
Here is my hack:  Take a knit hat, inside it out, and from the top sew 2.5 inch smooth U shape, zig-zag because it is knit and you don't want it to fray.  Sew back and forth several rounds.  I tried increasing zig width, decreasing stitch length, using a variety to make sure it is good and stitched, secure and won't unravel when you do the next step:  CUT
Tried the straight cut, seemed to work fine.
Also tried a more key-hole shape and then CUT like this:
...which did not seem to make much difference.  I would recommend applique zig-zag stitch heart or other personalized decoration BEFORE you inside out and make center seam.
And write your name on at least one so you don't give them all away!

Coming in the mail soon to you, my Utah children.  There is one in there for Aunt Becca & Chris, too.  Thanks to Deborah for discovering this cool idea!

John's right arm in gray, me with my left hand in couple glove while taking picture.





5 comments:

Jane Babcock said...

I love the hat solution, already warm and stretchy.

Deb said...

End-of-winter sales and you could buy a ton of hats and sell these on Etsy! Yours would be the most colorful and fun and would be potentially less expensive than the ones I've seen. Bold-patterned ones like stripes would be most unique.

BobandLu said...

Haha I love it! :). We were at Walmart looking at hats for. Pete the other day. He has a teen boy sized noggin. Good thinker. Had to skip over the kid hats.

Emmalyn said...

They are super warm!

Emmalyn said...

Nick picked the aquamarine smitten with the cute owl on it!