Thursday, November 13, 2008

Stars & Wrap Around Murals

This is one star from the quilt I made Mom & Dad years ago...




I like the idea of continuity, completeness, unity, wholeness. My favorite murals to do wrap around the entire room, including the ceiling, so you feel like you are inside the picture. This poster display is for a silent auction donation I gave to support the public library.

This morning I helped 2nd graders pass off their Pledge of Alleigience. They have to know it word for word correctly for the Patriot Program. If they said all the words correctly, I asked them if they had any questions about what the words meant.

I asked one girl what indivisible meant.

"Like you can't see it?"

Another girl asked what "under God" meant. It took me back, I took a deep breath, remembered I was in public school, and told her "It means that the men and women who helped start this country believed that God was over all, watching out for them, protecting them." I wanted to tell her more, but she nodded, and it was enough.



4 comments:

Jane Babcock said...

Love the star quilt on my bed everyday. I have been pulling it up high over the back of the pillows so the neighbors can see it too, when I open my blinds to see out the window behind my bed.

Likely said...

Wrap around murals - does that mean quilts?

I loved your answer to the under god question. perfect for the setting.

Jennilyn said...

Wrap Around [the room] as in all 4 walls and ceiling, a big hug of mural art surrounding you. I like the link to quilts, interesting how words can make you think of other things, images. I like the snuggle feel of wrap around.

You ask good questions!

Jess and Jason said...

I love it that I can recognize where a majority of those rooms are! Your work is incredible. I had someone over to look at our carpets and he saw Layla's room and raved about it. I than took him into the jungle room and the twinkle twinkle nursery too. You are amazing!