Saturday, December 27, 2008

Happy Birthday to Mr. L

On his birthday he gives his mom flowers--she did all the work!
















Below is one of my favorite cute husband photos. We were hiking down through Hole in the Rock to Lake Powell with my family. He is still my handsome blue-eyed hunk! Sobering to think in March our oldest son will be as old as Johnny was when I first met him and fell in love with him.

How did we know so young this was going to be a good thing, something that would last? I ask married couples "To what do you contribute the success of your marriage?" and love hearing the varied answers. Most of them include "hard work" in the answer.

Relationships take work. Dating each other now is an investment in our long-term couple-ship. Not just a relationship, a coupleship. Thinking in terms of us, not just me. Sharing. Giving. Listening and lots of talking. Touching! Kissing! Shared jokes, shared hardships, shared good times. Silliness. Laughter. Lots of forgiveness and starting over and persistence and prayer and love journals.

I think that is my favorite thing we added to Us last year, those nightly letters to each other. I am never too tired to at least scribble a heart and an "I love you."

2 comments:

Likely said...

Happy Birthday John! That is a great picture. I hope you have a wonderful day today.

Jennilyn said...

Ohhh, RJ just saw this picture and said, "He looks A LOT younger than he does now!" But she recognizes you!