Sunday, July 11, 2010

Why the 4th?



Not why the 4th of July. I am talking about the 4th generation of passing on a family name. When I first met John and learned that he was a third--I had never met anyone with a generational name. (I knew about Joseph Smith, Jr, from Church. I had heard of Thurston Howell III from Gilligan's Island.) I thought it meant John was rich, with a name legacy like that!

When I met John Junior, and then the Senior, the name made more sense. It grew on me. By the time we were married and expecting our second baby and found out he was a boy, his name fit. I knew that was a good name for him, and it created a connection with his grandpas that is hard to describe. I have never regretted passing on that great name to our son, even in the confusion of whose mail is it?

We've called him by his middle name (one school year in 3rd grade he went by John to try it out). Whether or not he passes that on depends on his wife. No pressure. I will tell her my story and make very clear name passing is not an obligation.

Today Stewart will be ordained an Elder at Church. This is a bigger deal to me than his getting his Eagle, or graduation from high school, or being old enough to vote. This is a big step on the pathway of getting ready to go to the temple, serve a mission for two years. He will be leaving for college in 4 and a half weeks.

We will miss him, and the table will shrink, more leftovers will remain uneaten, but I know he will be in a good place, and a little more like his daddy, a good man!

2 comments:

Lisa Chin said...

What a big day! I especially understand what a big day this is because my son has chosen a different path. He has accomplished much in the world but sadly he does not hold the priesthood. I hope Stewart will continue to hold strong to the gospel and rejoice in sharing his testimony with others - even when those people are not receptive. You never know when the seed you have planted will grow. :D

Deb said...

Congratulations to Stewart for becoming an Elder. He's a very admirable person. He'll be a great missionary.