Thursday, January 19, 2012

The Other Project: Fidelity

Deb asked about the other, smaller quilt I was working on (early Valentine's present for John-no real suprise):
During:
Close up:
Washable? Well, sort of, but I wouldn't put it through the washing machine. Heat setting the paints helps permanize, iron over protective plain white sheet. But I usually hang these up on wall, rather than put on beds. If you try it in machine, let me know how it goes! I have vacumned many quilts to pull dust off of them.

I water down the paints and use them like water colors, saturate the quilt where you want them to blend. I've used salt to concentrate pigment in one area (throw on kosher salt where you want extra texture and brush it off when paints dry) wet-on-wet brush, dry brush, resist (using contact paper)all the techniques from watercolor.

3 comments:

landbeck said...

I love hidden message pieces; I will be reading the fine print for years!

:)

Deb said...

Thank you for more explanation. I would like to see this in person. I would also like to try this. I think I'll keep my eyes open for white on white to alter. Sounds fun.

Lisa Chin said...

Did you use a sharpie market for the black outlines and hidden message and polka dots? Looks great!