A couple of months ago our high school junior came home and announced that he wanted to join the wrestling team. Out of the blue for us. He had researched what he needed to do, gone to the info meeting, and had forms for us to sign, uniform fees, doctor permission slip, fundraiser event...He has never wrestled before.
We actually have kind of nerdy-geeky kids. They haven't begged for sports activities and we haven't gone out of our way to push them, except Church YM basketball.
What an intense sport! Today was my first time seeing high school wrestling live. I picked up Roxie and Sam from school and we walked over to the high school, paid our entrance fee ($8)and found seats on the bleachers in the big gym. Gpa John joined us before Stewart was up.
I got a crash-course in following the rules, understanding what the ref was saying (green arm band hand for home team) and what was good, what was bad. From other matches/meets Stewart has brought home medals. He got 3 pins yesterday at an away match.
Weight matters. And it's polite and okay to talk about it in this context. He has a BMI of 15, dense muscles, tough and tall. Today he wrestled 189. "I did all right. I didn't do my best, though. The guy gave me some openings and I didn't take them..." They both looked tired by the end. He scored 4, opponent was behind-but scored within last few seconds; so tied after the 3 periods, and into overtime, and the guy from Howard county got the next take down (not a pin) scored 2 points and won. Coach said be more aware of the time, back off last 10 seconds next time.
The coach knows Gpa John and told him Stewart is probably the most coachable wrestler he has, he really listens to what the coach says, does it. Eats oatmeal right before the match, like the coach suggested. (Stewart and I were talking about food, and he said maybe nobody else knows how to make it, and don't cook from scratch at home, like we do?)
3 comments:
Finally! A place where it is polite to talk about how much you weigh... Maybe I should start wrestling. I can start using my weight for something positive, like taking out another person... Do you think we should bring this up to Sis. Perry about a new Enrichment idea? :) Yeah, I didn't think so.
Awesome Stewart! Makes me think of Dad's wrestling picture. It used to make me feel proud of him.
And watching that video, I kept thinking somebody should be punching somebody. Guess I've watched too many movies.
Learning how to follow directions and obey sound suggestions are important skills that Stewart has no doubt learned from you. Awesome parents!
Nice! I love video. I'm impressed at Stewart's following through with getting things going. Sounds like fun. For him I mean. I'm doing plenty of wrestling to keep clean diapers on Isaac. He may be our wrestler. I'll have him talk to his cousin Stewart.
Post a Comment