Sunday, August 22, 2010

Peace and Whirlwind

Saturday morning we made our way here. Peaceful. Quiet. Right.
Friday night we celebrated Thanksgiving while Emma and Stewart were still here with us. I spent the whole day cooking turkey, stuffing, sweet potatoes, green beans, rolls, pumpkin mini-pies, and cookies, and a chocolate cake with the wrong frosting for Sam's birthday dinner celebration...delicious, but I was dead tired at the end. Now we can have tacos in November like Johnny has always wanted!
Back to school haircuts! (Same night as Thanksgiving.)
Saying good-bye Saturday morning. Stewart will be a freshman living 3 blocks from Emma.
Good-bye, my blue-eyed son! I think the reality hit me last night during family prayer: we only have 4 kids left at home. FOUR?! Our family has shrunk.

5 comments:

Jane Babcock said...

Great idea. Makes me wonder what our Thanksgiving and Christmas will be like.

Emmalyn said...

That was a delicious Thanksgiving! Thank-you for all of your hard work :)

Lisa Chin said...

No wonder you were exhausted - being chef and hair dresser all in one day! I love the photo of you two in front of the temple. It looks like John is wearing a Temple hat. :D

Likely said...

what a fun and sweet post. happy and sad at the same time. I have always dreamed of having thanksgiving dinner someime other than thanksgiving and wonder why we only have turkey once -- maybe twice a year! But then I remember the work and effort.

what a fun idea though to do it before your kiddos leave.

Jane Babcock said...

I remember reading about a family of a man who has Alzheimers. The Dad was only rational about Christmas. So whenever he thought Christmas was coming, they would get out the tree and start preparing for Christmas. For those days they had their father back as they celebrated together.