Saturday, October 23, 2010

Beach on Broadway

Picture this: 4:30 pm, our house. Paint up and down my arms, on my neck. I had forgotten to take a lunch to work. Very hungry. John whisks me to our favorite Chinese buffet for an early sushi plus dinner, tells our children to please eat leftovers. I still had on my scary paint clothes from finishing up this project, but was too hungry to care. Of course we run into someone we know...I should have at least brushed my hair!

As you walk into this teenage girl's room, this is what you see:

Turning towards the closet doors to the right:


And behind you (notice the ocean waves in reflected in the shell mirror!)


Downstairs, same house, in the big family room (re-modeled extension off of original kitchen--I love this room!). Goal was to be subtle, make the saying look as if it were carved right into the wall. "Priory" is name of font. Used base coat color and added Payne's Grey for shadows and basecoat plus Titanium White.

5 comments:

9patchnurse said...

Wow the beach room is awesome! And the words totally look carved. Love the shadowy look.

Lady Ozma and Million Pillowcase Kid said...

Wow, the beach theme is AMAZING. And those words really do look like they are part of the wall, not paint. I mean wow.

Now I want to go on vacation!

John said...

Pretty neat, thank you for taking me to the shore, if only for a moment!

Jane Babcock said...

You achieved subtle very nicely.

Lisa Chin said...

WOW! WOW! and WOW! The beach room is amazing. All she needs is a sound machine giving beach background noises and maybe a sandbox to stick her feet in. ;) The subtle words on the wall are amazing! It's too bad you don't live here (or I there) so I could be your grunt and attempt to learn some of these amazing skills from you.