Friday, January 7, 2011

The Floss is a Big Deal

Last week we ran out of floss. In the whole house. That is a good thing, right? It means we are using it! Shopping to replace it, I found the cheapest kind was cinnamon flavored $.88 for huge roll. It didn't seem to be selling as well as the minty ones.

Much cheaper than $300+ for fillings, out of pocket.

I have become obsessed with brushing at correct 45 degree angle and flossing with 2 feet of string in correct C shape up and down five times. That means one person using floss once a day would go through one little container of floss in a month.

Brushing after every meal? Tough feat. But I am trying.

Makes me cut out snacking. One Hershey's peppermint kiss is not worth the trip back to the bathroom to brush again.

And I WILL BRUSH! More! Everytime I eat. Seriously.

I go back this morning for my fourth cavity this week to be filled. By dental students, which I highly recommend if you have time to wait and sit and let them learn on you.

I am thankful for Maryland Dental School with their gentle learning hands.

And I highly recommend you floss! Daily. With each meal. Seriously.

6 comments:

Deb in UT said...

Ah, be careful. Over-flossing can aggravate your gums. I've heard it said once-a-day, not more than twice-a-day flossing is fine. Chewing sugarless gum after some meals also helps.

Since we've moved, we still need to find a new dentist. Thank you for your example.

Lisa Chin said...

It's wonderful that you are working so hard to keep away the cavities. You are lucky to have a dental school near by.

Deb we have two dentists in our ward that are fabulous. Email me at something(underscore)clever(at)msn(dot)com and I can send you their information. Maybe one of them will be a part of your insurance program.

Cheryl U said...

Now somewhere I heard that milk chocolate actually helps keep you from getting cavities!!! So you wouldn't have to floss after that Hershey's kiss!

Jane Babcock said...

Cheap floss gets stuck in my teeth because they are too close together. I pay more for Glide.

Michael said...

I have to plan to floss five times a day just to do it once.

Fine Art by Jennifer said...

John needs some expensive dental work. Not fun. Things I've learned...swish your mouth with water after eating citrus, esp. grapefruit. Swishing with water can sometimes be a good way of doing things without having to brush your teeth all day. Alice had a lot of little cavities because she would eat one hershey's kiss and another and another at intervals. That keeps stuff on your teeth longer. It's better to eat 10 hershey kisses all at once than to eat 10 spaced at 10 minute intervals (or half hour intervals).