Sunday, September 21, 2008

Fallingwater Adventure

  This is the view most people have seen of Fallingwater, cantilevered house over waterfall, built by Frank Lloyd Wright for Kaufmann family from Pittsburgh as a retreat, away from the polluted city (on land that was originally a Masonic camp, with cabins, no electricity, a place to escape the city).
  I paid for the big deal tour, and could take photos, but cannot post any on internet of interior---which I would love to do but will respect. House is owned by a private nature conservatory group. The Kaufmanns only son gave it to them with the intent of it being publically toured and the land preserved carefully. It is in a beautiful setting.
  The guest house pool...which I would love in my backyard.
  Another exterior view near guest house, notice cement arbor. Color is same that Wright designed, a pale peach, looks good with all the green.

Rhododenrons cover the mountainside. The sound of the falls is beautiful in the background. Nice trees. Low ceilings, lots of emphasis on horizontal. Toilets lower than normal, really lower, sunk so just inches from floor...Kaufmann Junior had heard that was better for your bowel health, to squat more....cork lined bathrooms--all the walls and floors. Excellent lighting everywhere. I loved the recessed lights in the bedroom, the change of ceiling height forcing your view outward, no curtains, TINY bedrooms but felt open because of the windows; low couches, big enough to sleep on, many colored pillows in ethnic fabrics. Focus on fireplace. Shelves, shelves everywhere. Books going up stairs on shelves built into walls. Old-fashioned ugly yellow kitchen. Original Aga stove was missing, but you could see where the stone had been cut away to fit it. Amazing artwork. Low balcony cement railing--not a good place for toddlers. I was nervous right next to the edge! Besides that one detail, I would have loved to move right in. Very peaceful, relaxing.
Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

Emmalyn said...

Very pretty- made me want to see the inside though, good descriptions.

Jane Babcock said...

Daddy's response to your photos and blog was to want us to go there, be there. With you too would be nice. I didn't expect his house interest to be so strong. Thanks for sharing.

Wright's biography is very interesting. He was a complex person who complicated his personal life.

landbeck said...

Fallingwater is about 90 minutes away from Lu and Bob's house. It would be a good second anchor for coming to Pittsburgh again!

seven smiles said...

Great place!
How beautiful--looks like you had fun. :)

nichole said...

How funny about the toilet. Sometime I'll have to tell you about Japanese toilets. I don't want to get too graphic on the internet. :)

BobandLu said...

Oh, I wish the timing would have been different and I could have gone with you!! It's on my "I'd love to do.." list. Thanks for the pictures.

Likely said...

Fallingwater??? I can't believe you've been. I didn't even realize it is so close! Wow. I want the details on prices... Tell me without my husband around - maybe I will surprise him one day and take him. He is a fan.

We have a huge coffee table book on Frank Lloyd Wright if you are interested in borrowing it :)