Friday, March 19, 2010

UN-Complicate It!

Today I learned how to do this! From http://funkyjunkinteriors.blogspot.com/

K I S S = Keep It Simple, Silly (rather not use a garbage word like stupid)

I know I make things more complicated when I stress, worry them to death. I wish I were more spontaneous, less encumbered, better at letting things go.

I went across the bridge that takes me over the Susquehanna River, and realized that I had forgotten to take down the Easy Pass, so my sticker couldn't be read. $10 for a year long sticker, or $2 for each Easy Pass use. I had put it up to go through the Harbor Tunnel to the seminary meeting last Saturday and forgot to take it down for work, going the opposite direction. I growled at myself. Silly waste of money, because I forgot. I complained to John and he told me to let it go.

Let it go where? To my Landfill of Regrets? He doesn't live that way. He is good at not letting guilt or shame run his life. He repents, moves on. Lets it go. If there is a problem, he takes care of it the best he can, seeks help, but doesn't even think about "what if..."

I get into a fit of people-pleasing mania. Re-thinking scenarios, how it could have gone better. What I should have done or said.

Today I am going to try to simplify some more. De-clutter one closet. Organize something for 10 minutes, and then move on to something else.

And not dwell or wallow or feel the dread that can come when I get discouraged by my lack of perfection. As tough as people think I am on them, I am hardest on myself.

The RS conference Saturday was all about how to be kind to ourselves when we look in the mirror. Monitor our self-talk. Encourage ourselves. Sing as we walk and walk, like the pioneer children did. I taped my hand-out on the mirror going downstairs to the seminary room. (In white board dry erase markers is a temple silhouette and the words, "See yourself in the Temple of God")

3 comments:

Lisa Chin said...

Monitoring our self talk when we look in the mirror is something I definately need to work on. I remember an institute teacher telling us that the reason we do that is because Satan's imps are watching over our shoulder and pointing negative things out to us because they are jealous that they don't have a body. Basically he said we should just tell them to get lost because we are blessed with a body and they aren't. Na na na na nah! lol
I know I am much happier when I let things go and not worry about the silly thing I said and what I should have done or said. There are still a couple of situations that make my stomach turn if I think about them but I need to forgive myself and move on. Forgive yourself of the "waste" and learn from it. You are awesome!

Jane Babcock said...

Mama wrote on one of our mirrors: "I love you." Love, Dad

landbeck said...

I want you to see yourself as you truly are, a beautiful, talented, compelling, amazing, smart, funny, sexy, dynamic, exhausting, spiritual, glorious, feminine, inspirational, inspired woman. I am happy every day that our lives and futures are joined.