Saturday, January 1, 2011

The Button Story

When we, Jenny-Deb-John the baby, lived in San Jose, California, in the rented blue-green stucco house near the Rocket Park slide and the eucalyptus trees by Dad's work, I had a button necklace. Buttons from Grandma Laura, Great Grandma Jane Davidson. I remember playing with Mom's button jar, stringing the buttons on, and knowing some of them were family-old ones. Wooden ones, old shell ones, probably some bake-lite retro ones! I loved that necklace. I remember running it through my hands when I was supposed to be asleep, thinking about the adventures the buttons had seen.

One day a playmate from across the street offered to trade one of her glass menagerie treasures for my necklace. I picked out a tiny blue peacock and she grabbed the necklace. I went home, noticed one of the legs of the peacock was broken off, missed my button necklace and instantly regretted the trade. I tried to trade back the peacock, but the friend refused. I am not sure if I even told my parents, but I was heartbroken and very sad.



(Pacifiers make GREAT buttons! I have sewn them on quilts, through the holes of these MAM brand pacifiers. Cut off the used nipple, and they lie flat against the cloth.

I've been trying to re-create that necklace ever since! And this holiday, I am sending all of my sisters a button bracelet. I want them to know they are precious to me, and I wouldn't trade them for any worldly treasures. They are all keepers!

If I made it too small/big for your wrists, they can be re-strung with elastic. Or you can use the buttons for a project you need! Know that I value you.

5 comments:

Jane Babcock said...

I don't think you ever told me. But I do remember the buttons. One of my early memories is stringing buttons on a string to "help my mother."

Deb said...

I remember that peacock! And I have a vague memory of your dissappointment about the situation. And I remember playing with the buttons too. I still have a little jar that Mom used to fill with buttons.

Lisa Chin said...

What a sad story! But I'm guessing it was a good learning experience. You have a beautiful button collection now. I didn't develop a button fetish until I became an adult. Mormon Handicraft used to have a huge jar of buttons that I loved running my hands through. There was another store that is now closed that had a giant bin of buttons I loved playing in too. Fun.

Fine Art by Jennifer said...

I love the button bracelet and the story behind it! I treasure you too, very much.

BobandLu said...

I love it! It came in the mail yesterday. I have to be careful because Pete loves it too. When I'm not wearing it, I'll have it hung on the bird hook at my kitchen sink. Looks good there. I love the mixed textures, sizes and patterns and love you, my sister who made it!