Tuesday, January 4, 2011

For the Secretary

My mom-by-marriage, Sandy, was a great school administrator and a good example. At the holidays, she always remembered all the secretaries. They do amazing work, and are often forgotten in the gift-giving and shared treats from students. I want to be consistent and thankful, following her lead.

And this year, we rememberd, and actually got them to the two secretaries before Christmas break.

Roxie gave me the nicest thank you note, with a sweet request for recipe sharing. "Any chance to share recipes?"

This is what I wrote back to her:

I want to die being famous for my fudge! Glad you liked it. We wanted you to know we appreciate how hard you work for the school!

Yes, I will share my recipe. It is almost embarrassingly simple—just use the back of the marshmallow cream container. Sometimes it is called “Fantasy Fudge.” It doesn’t seem to matter if you add marshmallow cream at beginning-like the simplified recipe calls for, or wait until after you boil sugar & milk…

The tricks and tips: don’t use sweetened condensed milk—follow recipe and use EVAPORATED milk. It is the runny stuff, not the thick yellowy one. Stir! Make lots! My sister-in-law made a maple sugar BACON version this year. Sounds weird, but it was wonderful. Sweet & savory mixes are a big trend.

This batch actually contained a mistake: wrong milk. The sugar crystals never dissolved. Huge disaster. I called my mom (she is on a church mission) and she told me to put it back in the pot, reheat, add the right milk. That was the peanut butter pecan-caramel version. It made caramel-fudge. So I may try that method again next year…

Everything else is just the additives: chopped up dried cranberries and pecans in the white batch (use a whole 16 oz of sour cream instead of the evaporated milk called for in recipe and 2 bags of white chocolate chips); almond flavoring and chopped cherries in the chocolate batch…

I am making myself drool. There is a reason I only make it once a year!

2 comments:

Lisa Chin said...

Chopped cranberries and nuts or chopped cherries sounds like a fabulous addition to fudge!

Jane Babcock said...

I loved the peanut butter caramel fudge. Do you think you would have to make it first then reheat it. You will have to write out exactly what you did. Could you put in both the condensed milk and the evaporated milk or would you cook it with the condensed milk and then add the evaporated milk and cook it again. For how long?