Sunday, January 2, 2011

The Kool-Aid Coat

Kool-Aid is a great dye. You know, if you have ever gotten the dry powder on your skin when you are making it--it dyes natural fibers/skin really well. Works on wool! Vinegar helps to set it.

Before off-white 100% serious wooly thrifted coat. Missing buttons.

Strawberry/cherry/black cherry kool-aid after. Use COLD water, or wool will shrink. (I dissolved powder in a cup of hot water and then added to cold-bath tub submerged coat.) Slight ombre effect, muted and variegated, but very, very cool! Brown buttons sewn on with variegated pink thread.

6 comments:

Emmalyn said...

VERY VERY COOL! (And warm- and cute)

Thank-you Mom!

Jane Babcock said...

It looks surprisingly more contemporary in the pink.

Sherry said...

I'm glad you were finally able to try out the kool-aid dye...assuming you are going to try it again. I love how it turned out.

Deb said...

We like it too! Roger is wondering does it still smell like Kool-aid?

Fine Art by Jennifer said...

That was a great coat. I loved the grey boots too!

Lisa Chin said...

Did you use the Kool-aid brand or the cheaper brand? And how many packets did it take? I've seen people do this with wool yarn and it is a very Kool project! haha