Monday, May 2, 2011

Granola Guy

In my frenzy to make sure Stewart has good life survival skills before he leaves on his mission to Billings, Montana in 15 days, today was learn-to-make-granola day. Cheaper than buying it, filling, you can control the sweetness, and the ultimate comfort food. We used Alton Brown's base recipe, but made a bigger batch. Stewart chose cranberries and coconut to add in.
Oats, oat bran, pecans, sesame seeds, honey, maple syrup, oil, salt.

TIFFANY NEEDS TO READ THIS More Last Thursday Mother's Class results: I took Sam & Roxie shopping with me for a cereal container. Normally, I would have gone by myself, while they were in school. But the play/work class helped me realize I need to teach them how to shop--which is work!

I told them what I was looking for, the features the container needed (plastic, not glass, big to fit lots of granola, pourable spout, ergonomic handle or easy to pour, good use of space and fit in our cupboard, and not expensive.)

We started at Dollar Tree, nothing, and almost walked out, but they had swim noodles in two new colors for our pattern "teach sewing skills" game March 31st post! Then we went to the grocery store. Compared containers, calculated which one was bigger (one was listed as 1.5 gallons, other was 40 ounces. Which is bigger? Math in the grocery isle!). We then went to Ollies, and Dollar General, looking, walking out when we didn't find what we needed. The $8.99 Rubbermaid cereal container at ShopRite seems to fit the most of our requirements, except the cheap part. It took awhile, but I hope they learned how I shop, what I look for, what is important to me (price and function!). We came home and put the granola in ziplock gallon bags, until we find the perfect container!

4 comments:

Jane Babcock said...

Sounds good. I learned how to light my stove and oven today. The gas wasn't turned on. I have been making do with a low power microwave.

Lisa Chin said...

Thanks for the link to the granola recipe. I have to give it a try. We love granola and I've been wanting to find a good recipe.

My big goal for play/work this summer is the garden and canning. The garden used to be my joy and escape but now that my knees don't let me get down on the ground I need/want to include the children. I've been thinking about how much easier canning can be with more hands but haven't wanted to put up with the groans of "do I have to" so I'm trying to think of ways to make them want to help. Any ideas?

leslie said...

I found some at Bed Bath and Beyond, plus there are always 20% off coupons for them, you can use up to 6 in a trip!

nichole said...

BB&B also lets you use multiple coupons in one transaction and they can even be expired. I've found some containers at Ross before too.