Tuesday, May 3, 2011

My Scratch & Dent Life

I have 6 roommates. Thankfully, we don't each have our own gallon of milk labeled with our name. We share food. There can be some confusion as to where to put things. Food gets forgotten. Leftovers develop a life of their own. I thawed some chicken Sunday that dripped over the bottom, so it was time for a deep clean. Stewart helped me wash out the scary drawers. NO before picture. Didn't even think it.

Now it looks so beautiful, I just want to stare at the clean shelves! I thought about printing out this picture as a point of reference for future users. Instead I used my label maker to teach everyone else where I want things. Where I will tell them to look, when they ask what they can eat. And leftovers are front and center. ATTENTION: milk has moved from the bottom shelf to the top. You can all reach that high now. I believe in independent breakfast eaters. Do not try to cram it in the old spot. It will not fit because I moved around the shelves.
Ahh, beautiful. Organized by how we use things. Butter and garlic still on top. EGGS are lower than they were to make better use of space. We eat a lot of eggs.
Emma, can you tell what I photo shopped out, without peeking at the picture below?
HOURS after we installed this new fridge, the meat drawer was left open and someone closed the door and broke/cracked the handle of the drawer. I've stopped noticing it. We get used to ugly things. I saved the piece for awhile, but never tried to glue it on, and then lost the piece.

"LEFTOVERS EAT ME 1st!" next to "pickles."

8 comments:

Lesa said...

Looks great. I like that the leftovers are front and center. I need to develop that system :)

Deb said...

New fridge for us means we need a new system. That takes some thought. You've inspired me.

Fine Art by Jennifer said...

Lovely! I deep cleaned my porch today with the same sense of satisfaction.

Lisa Chin said...

Great work! I wish you well with your labels.

Emmalyn said...

That looks great! Labels are an amazing idea. As well as none of us bending over so much for milk...

I didn't even realize your photoshop edit! It was seamless. I had to cheat and look to figure out what you had done.

My roommate and I went through our fridge/freezer and threw out stuff that had been there... way too long. Very refreshing.

Jane Babcock said...

The former missionaries left a chest freezer they bought because the apt has a half size refrigerator. It still has a separate freezer, but both are small. I will have to organize.

kim said...

What a good feeling, huh?
I'm glad to see we're not the only family with
a) a serious condiment accumulation problem
b) broken bits & pieces in our fridge
I'm going to move our leftovers "front & center" right now!

John said...

I saw no green salsa...I love your large bottle of Sriracha!!