My name is Mom-Me at home. Friends who say my given name correctly are highly valued. Jenni-lyn, two distinct sounding names. Not Jen-all-lyn smushed together. I read every day, date husband at least weekly, watch films, daydream, teach early Daily Seminary-Bible Class to (only 13 this year!), cook extravagant meals, make famous fudge, take walks...but mostly I quilt and paint and parent!
Thursday, October 23, 2008
Favorite wontons+soup + Favorite living composer: Jon Schmidt
We love "Welcome to Midori" on route 1, Balimore, best crab+cream cheese wantons, ever.

Whenever I see a reclaimed Taco Bell establishment, I am likely to stop. This place was in Delaware, same architecture,and I had the best soup in my life: chix stock with pork+shrimp meatballs and noodles and cilantro, 1 egg, no flour. Perfect! I am making it tonight.
The Alzheimer quilt bins filled the car--the reason for the trip, to drop them off.
Jon Schmidt. He was in town for a homeless shelter fundraiser concert. He wrote a song for our graduating class, Highland High'84. I remember Dad solemly writing a check for $75 after he played at our wedding reception. It has been almost 20 years, and he is still playing. I asked him if I could take a picture of him for my blog (had to step outside of the chapel) and he gave me a big hug (surprised me!)He spoke at the "Why I Believe" fireside and played his arrangement of "All Creatures of our God and King" and "Onward Christian Soldiers" JRR Tolkein inspired, and his wife's favorite "Beaches" and "Waterfall" my all time favorite! The most inspiring thing he said: everytime he gets ready to compose, he says a prayer. His hero is Minerva Tiechert who would pray every time she picked up a paintbrush, and when she ran into artistic problems painting the Manti temple World Room, she would climb down from the scaffolding and get down on her knees and ask for help. So I've been trying it, too, with this current mural. A solution I never would have thought of on my own is the result. Pictures coming tomorrow...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I do that too. Pray before I paint. I like getting help. Especially from such a good Artist.
Post a Comment