Friday, October 3, 2008

Grandma Carlson's favorite dress

After Grandma Laura died from breast cancer, Mom gave me two of her favorite dresses. I inherited my narrow shoulders from her, and the dresses were tiny at top, room at the middle (another inherited trait, nice Scottish sturdy mid-section with all our weight up front) 100%cotton. Perfect for making quilts. I cut carefully and made 8 blocks to give to each of her children. Some aunts framed theirs. Don't know what happened with the rest, but that is the nature of a gift, you give, and it is gone.
Same dress fabric-just another stripe with different colors.
They would have looked good all together in one quilt, but then who gets the one big one? Easier to share. I have made several Memorial style quilts for grieving families.
What favorite article of clothing of yours would remind your children of the real you, if it were cut up into a quilt like this? I have a uniform look, includes my bright green crocs that I wear everyday. A favorite t-shirt. My black and lime green house dress pj cover-up. My favorite black jean jacket. I should ask Roxie what she thinks is my favorite dress, she what she says.
We are using this quote in the quilt show above the Children's Quilts: "Blessed are the children of the piecemakers (another name for quilters), for they shall inherit the quilts!"

1 comment:

BobandLu said...

Thanks for the picture of Grandma and her dress quilt squares.
Funny children of piecemakers quote!