Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Food Storage Salsa

I advertised it as a gathering for Mexican "food snobs" and they came. Chelsea from Arizona taught us how to make this great salsa, from ingredients off your shelf (plus cilantro--fresh is best, worth the splurge). Instead of using fresh tomatoes--which makes homemade salsa very VERY watery, canned tomatoes solve the problem. I was surprised at how good this was!

1 large can whole tomatoes
1 small can whole tomatoes
1 medium yellow onion chopped
2 4ounce cans chopped green chilis
1 bunch cilantro
2 TBSP jalapeno juice
5 pieces of sliced jalepeno (I watched her: she pulled out one big jalepeno, chopped it up. The finer you cut it, the hotter the salsa--spread out through sauce)
1 tbsp lemon juice (I only had lime, so she used that)
salt, pepper, chili powder, garlic powder (we used fresh) to taste

Blend tomatoes and cilantro leaves in blender, until smooth. Pour into bowl and add the rest of ingredients except spices. Stir, and then add enough spices to meet your taste. (I knew it was going to be good when she took a chip, tasted it, and said, "MMmmmmm!") Allow flavors to mix for at least an hour for best results. (We did not wait an hour!) If you like spicer salsa, add more jalapenos.

4 comments:

Deb said...

Sounds very yummy! Thanks.

Emmalyn said...

I loved seeing you and Dad on tiffany's blog!

Salsa sounds yummy!

nichole said...

Did she drain the tomatoes?

Jennilyn said...

YES, drained through colander! I've made a batch a week since our Mexican lunch! One time I blended the jalepenos too, turned a very GREEN salsa.