Sunday, July 19, 2009

Sharing of Everyday Moments

My way to save money and help recycle: I pick up outdated magazines at the library free table. Yes, I am behind a few months, catching up though.

The editor-in-chief for BHG, Gayle G. Butler, wrote something in October 2008 that I thought was pretty profound: "Simple, regular sharing of everyday moments keeps us close to those we care for--no matter where we are."

Reading blogs/email/FB does that for me. Writing and reading spouse Night Journals (he writes me a letter each night in a plain spiral notebook, and I write to him in another one, and we switch book every other night. We are coming up on a year of doing this, and I highly recommend doing it, even on the nights you are really tired, or grouchy--or both.).

Blogging doesn't have to have picture posts. Just real words. Real thoughts and feelings.

I have a new calling/assignment at Church. Instead of working with the little kids 18 months-12 years, I will be teaching scripture study Seminary to teenagers, EARLY in the morning. At 5:45 am. Here, in my home. Every school day. We live across the soccer/lacrosse field from the high school, very convenient.

I will have three of my kids in high school, convenient for them, too.

One more month to get ready! I've been pondering ways to help them internalize scriptures, learn them and apply them to their lives. To keep the scriptures real and to "...share everyday moments..." with each other, with their families, with God.

School supplies are on sale everywhere so I got 18 composition books to create journals for each of my students. Thinking about making a tabbed section for

HEART=feelings/desires
MIND=thoughts/questions
STRENGTH=actions/service
MIGHT=influence/power/example

A tabbed section for characters/prophets/people mentioned as we read throughout the year.

And one for the 25 scripture mastery verses for them to memorize. After 4 years they are encouraged to have all 100 known by heart. Amazing, inspired program, and I am excited to be a part of it!

3 comments:

Jane Babcock said...

I am excited for your opportunity to teach seminary. I came across a definition of diligence that included the latin root, meaning to delight in or to love. I hope that doing your duty with diligence this coming year will bring you much joy.

Lisa Chin said...

I hope you are a morning person. I know I would have a difficult time getting up that early.

I am excited to hear all about your experiences this year with the kids. I hope you will share what you believe are your successful teaching moments and ones that don't turn out quite the way you wanted. It will help us all with our own teaching experiences at home and church.

Fine Art by Jennifer said...

Those sound like great ideas. I should do that with my normal scripture study. I would like my girls to have seminary at your house! I was afraid I'd get that calling...but I'm 2nd counselor in Relief Society now.