Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Yesterday, and 40 years, I was there!


We were living in the Red Brick Two-Story House in Fairfax, VA (right where Tyson's Corner mall is now!) and I remember my dad waking me up (the actual event historically says 3:56 am. Was that Eastern time? Did he and I really watch it live, or just the news later??? Was Mom there, or was she feeding the baby? ) and bringing me into the room where the tv was and telling me this was something really, really important and I should remember this day forever and tell my children I watched it happen on TV!

I watched Star Trek a lot with Dad, too, but knew that was pretend. Even though I was secretly in love with Capt. Kirk, and thought Spock would be okay to marry, too.

Did this event 40 years ago influence my life?

YES!

It put the moon closer, made it touchable. I would look at it in the night skies and know anyone could go (well, with enough money and equipment). In California in the 70's Shell gas stations were giving away pictures of the moon landing and I had a whole collection of them, the different shots. I felt like I owned that moment in history, I was there! Space travel was real and possible! Science and technology were gifts to be shared. Exploration was important. Learning, seeing new worlds, all of that was vital to me. Core beliefs.

Our kids take for granted so many things that are modern day miracles. Would they think of things differently if they had seen the first time some of the technology was invented? I've wondered if they think of the complexity of airplanes with more appreciation after seeing the Wright Brother exhibits at Kitty Hawk?

I grew up reading a lot of science fiction, doing well in math and science at school...joining a science fiction club, meeting John in science fiction magazine staff meeting...it all relates to that first landing on the moon!

Yeah, I am that old, and that is okay.

4 comments:

Deb said...

I guess I was nearly two-- the baby for another month or so. That's awesome you can remember that. Modern technology is definitely a blessing I take for granted too often.

Roger says Lockheed is building the new space-travel mechanisms since they will be retiring the space shuttle soon.

Jane Babcock said...

Yes, it was live, about 4am in my memory; that's why Mama didn't see it with us. Significant shared experience! Dad

Jane Babcock said...

Ken also commented that he didn't want to wake me up.

Lisa Chin said...

I remember seeing the landing on TV while I was at school but I could be making that up. I was 6 and in the first grade. I'm sure it was a later broadcast since the actual landing happened so early in the morning. How wonderful that your Dad thought to wake you up for such a momentous and life altering event!