Good smiles here. He kissed me, and yes, some Irish--only 1/8th or so, but it is there.
Irish FRUGALITY?
Does Irish TEMPER come with that legacy?
Irish RED HAIR?
I have red highlights in strong sunlight. My dad has dark hair like me, but when he was younger his beard grew in red. I have a red-haired brother. I wished I had his hair when we were growing up, thick and wonderful. I learned how to cut hair on his head. I wished for Anne of Green Gables' hair. But she wished for hair like mine.
Deborah's blog about Shame-Connection-Vulnerability has made me think more about the stories I tell. What have I left out, too worried about being different?
I feel more confident when my hair is newly cut. Michael Harrington (HAIR-haha) has cut my sister-in-law's hair for years and years, and Lisa, Amy, and I think Sara, too. I used to go every other month for years, and years. Spikey, bedhead, short short, bobs. I used to have short hair all the time. I tell him I want a "Michael Miracle" and let him experiment, do whatever he wants to try. My only requirements are easy to take care of and don't make me look older than I am. It is only been the last three years that I've been growing it out. I've referred friends from Church to him. I love sitting in his chair, hearing stories about the books he is writing, laughing at his insights into beauty. He remembers everything you tell him. He always asks about my kids, my quilts, my art. He likes to read, too, and I gave him a Book of Mormon one year with my homemade fudge.
I don't want him to look at me later and ask why I never told him what I believed.
We've been praying for missionary experiences as a family. I wonder if the kids know how powerful their example is?
Even growing up in SLC, I could have done more.
I want to be better at it.
4 comments:
I wouldn't have remembered it is St. Patrick's day. It wasn't celebrated in England and Scotland the year Sarah Koehler was born.
I love your new short hair. Maybe today I will get a haircut or maybe tomorrow. Soon.
It's fun to see all the different kinds of green today.
Fun site I was recommended today:
www.ourbestbites.com
I miss having a hair dresser like that - one that I could trust and my hair would look fabulous every time! I desperately need a haircut as well but I'm having a very difficult time thinking about paying $40 to cut my hair with a great hairdresser. :(
You're a great missionary example for us!
Love, Dad
Post a Comment