Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Sweater Day 2


I wore the sweater at Cranberry the day after Thanksgiving this year. Black high-contrast paisley (Persian Pickle!) on cream print.

I've thought of over-dyeing it. Soften the contrast, mute it some. But I love the orange in it, and the pokes of turquoise scattered. Almost made the arms longer than the 3/4 length (but that is one of my sad altering mistakes, can't control the stretch/rippling without adding distracting trims).

Here I am exploring neck altering options. So this is more sweater-in-process, not finished yet. It helps me to try things on the mannequin (Mandy) that rests on my sewing table. Every time I see it with fresh eyes, I try to evaluate my reaction.

"Does this work?"
"Does it draw the eyes UP?"
"Is it too _____?" freakish, gaudy, crazy, artsy, edgy, Bohemian, attention-grabbing, boring, tacky, inappropriate, or just right? What style am I striving to emulate? What image? Who am I, anyway?

4 comments:

Lisa Chin said...

Are you experimenting with putting all three neck trims or are you thinking of just one of them. I really like the orange trim but I can't say I would go with all three. Too many colors and textures.

Jennilyn said...

Experimental stage. Nothing sewn on yet, although I am learning that even sewn on, it is a picking party to make things better--alter the alteration!

BobandLu said...

Well I like all three but separately. It would be great to have them as scarves so you could change your mind without unpicking stitches. Or - I saw a great thing in a magazine where they had super short scarves with a button - not a lot of wrapping, just one lap around the neck (what? lapping at the neck?! haha) I'm no help am I? :) Picking one it would be the bottom one. I love that sweater!

Likely said...

Keep the paisley as it is and add the coral neckline -- that one is incredible and goes well. Did you make those "trims"??? They are really fun!