Every morning I ask my students to write down a new blessing in their "tiny plates." I encourage them to be grateful and think of something new each day. Write it down.
As they wrote, I told them today I am thankful for hymns.
And told them how last night something awful happened. Big fight. As a result I decided I was ready for bed just after 7 pm. I told Brother Landbeck he would have to teach seminary in the morning because I was angry and hurt and there was fighting and the Spirit was gone, gone, gone, gone.
Curled up on our bed, lights out, feeling grumpy, door closed. After awhile I heard singing. Voices from the living room. Then a piano joined in. They finished the first song, started another. They got louder. I heard laughing. More singing. John came and opened our door, invited me to come and join them.
I refused. Sulked some more. He left, and left the door open.
The singing continued. Faster and faster, more laughing. And I could hear the words. I started to listen. I started to cry. My heart softened. I came out and joined them, and they finished one more verse as fast as they could sing it. The one about sunshine in your soul today.
And we read scriptures together. John asked Max to pray, and it was the most beautiful prayer I have ever heard him offer. Sweet Spirit returned. Forgiveness. Starting over. We could hug and tell each other we loved one another.
Hymns help. Hum your favorite hymn when things are bad. The spirit of contention will leave, and good feelings will come back. That's a promise.
5 comments:
Ooohhh, I love the orange on you! Beautiful!
You are almost Lady Liberty! :)
I agree with Deb on the Orange!
I also agree with you on the power of Hymns. I had a recent thought that I should listen to hymns more.
There is a beautiful story about the prophet, I think it was wilford Woodruff who had two men come into his office to settle an argument for them. He said, ok, but can I sing a hymn first. Then another one and another. They left hugging each other, in tears, and didn't even tell him the problem. It would be a good follow up story if you can find it.
Thanks for sharing stuff like this.
If you find the wilford Woodruff story post it, I would love to share it with my students.
I knew you couldn't stay mad for long, You look like you have a great family.
Post a Comment