Saturday, January 30, 2010

Gifts of the Heart


I have an emotional reaction to jewelry. I tell people I don't like bling. Not like sparkle G-ma Billie who drips wonderfully in coordinated outfits and jewels.

I like sentimental stuff.

I love my engagement diamond (Billie gave it to Johnny when he told her he was going to ask me to marry him. She said, "You better!").

I love my CTR $14.99 silver ring. Because it reminds me to Choose The Right. Remember The Covenants, reading it backwards.

I have some favorite earrings, leather punched dangly daises that I wear at least once a week because they remind me of being an artist in high school, wearing flip-flops and jeans and hippy flowered shirts.

I've told John to PLEASE DO NOT BUY ME JEWELS. I would rather have IKEA furniture.

It is a nice thought. Nice gesture. He showes me he loves my by doing laundry.

Wish they made mass media commercials that glorified the helpful husband as incredibly sexy and loving. That's real life, for me!

2 comments:

Jane Babcock said...

Reminds me of the Languages of Love. What makes us feel loved? For Mama too, I think it's doing things for her that shows her I love her. Words next, "stuff" not her priority.
(I hope I got that right?)
Love, Dad

Lisa Chin said...

I thought I told my husband early on not to buy me jewelry but he still keeps trying. His taste and mine are very different. I don't like a lot of bling or sparkle and he doesn't get that. =D

I do love when he helps around the house but have wanted help with the children more than anything. He is very good at helping around the house though and we have often joked that he should be the househusband and I should be the bacon bringer - but he chose the higher paying career.