Monday, January 11, 2010

Timing It Just Right


It took us a few tries to get the rising sun behind us in the right spot. Sometimes, timing is everything. Being in the right place at the right time with the right person.

I rejoiced yesterday listening to uplifting talks about learning from our trials and adversities. I wrote a list out to John in our nightly Love Journals about possible lessons I should be learning, including valuing my time at home, serving others (subject of our family home evening lesson), patience, humility, gratitude, depending on others (a hard one for independent me), and thriftiness (I thought I was doing that already. Always room for improvement on how to use our resources better.)

Enduring to the end is not the lesson I want to be learning.

And that was just me guessing.

John asked me if I have prayed for comfort, not just prayed for him to get a job, but asked for peace and reassurance.

No, I guess not.

I've been specific in trying to quantify our needs. Trying to ask for what I think our family requires to fulfill our duties and callings and exercise our talents and missions in life.

If you have time to read a modern psalm, my brother-by-marriage, Roger's blog, has a beautiful written prayer, thoughts of his heart. I've been thinking a lot about how Nephi prayed over everything, his family, his animals, his crops, his enemies. And if I should be praying for help in learning the lesson this challenge needs to teach me so we can move on to the next test in life.

John has told me he is thankful our trial is just a financial one, and not me sick again, or a death or accident of a loved one. We have extended family going through phsycial trials that are humbling and severe, hard to deal with.

Others are dealing with emotional or spiritual trials.

Trying to think of things I was grateful for I flippantly told someone I am thankful my husband is faithful and sober. She told me she wished she could say the same, and it put me in my place. Sobered me up. Money trial is nothing, thinking of that possible heartache.

We never know what others are going through, unless we ask and listen and love them anyway, support them however humbly we can.

5 comments:

Emmalyn said...

Neat picture.

Patience I think is the hardest for me through trials. I just want it over and done with and the lesson learned already. Hard to see it with the right timing.

Deb said...

That picture is so awesome, I'm tempted to put it as a background on my computer. I think I will for today. Thanks!

And I like what you wrote too. We were talking this morning about how there will always be someone better off and someone worse off. Being jealous of someone else's blessings or proud about our own is destructive. I admire your gratitude. I'm striving to remember blessings too. Thank you.

Victoria said...

It is interesting to realize when you are going through trials that there really are so much worse things. Thank you for the nice thoughts today:)

Jane Babcock said...

It is a blessing to be able to do something. I love Sister Becks definition of self reliance. "Self reliance means using all of our blessings from Heavenly Father to care for ourselves and our families and to find solutions for our own problems."

Jane Babcock said...

That running rabbit below the glow between your lips made me think that time is fleeting, but love is now.

We're still praying for you to get through this trial.

Love, Dad