Friday, January 29, 2010

Orange by Design or Default?


I love this color!

When I was 10 or so I had a bright, fluorescent orange swimsuit that I remember choosing at the store. It is a happy, exuberant, energetic color for me. I didn't wear it as a teenager (the camoflauge years, trying to blend in and NOT be noticed) but started to wear it 10 years ago after one of those color-make-up-make-overs. The expert told me I glowed in orange and really looked good in it.

Hmmm. Brown hair, golden-brown eyes, freckles, easily blushes. And orange? I was dubious, but started to wear it anyway.

I get more compliments when I wear pink. NONE in black. Some in light blue. Some in orange. Some in rust. Some in the right shade of green (sometimes it makes my red face look redder, by contrast).

Not that I let compliments control my life or color choices! I do know color is very subjective and influential. Powerful colors. Whimpy colors. Colors that make you feel good, or at home. Colors that repel you, either with memories or visceral/emotional reactions; colors that hurt your eyes or soothe you instantly.

Mom chose dark teal green curtains for the living room when we lived in San Jose. I have the same color curtains now in my living room. They just look "right" to me.

When Stewart and Max were little I would choose orange for Stewart, green for Max. Toothbrushes, coats, blankets, cups. It was an easy way to keep track of what was whose stuff, with just over a year between them in age, they looked almost like twins. Now if you ask them what their favorite color are today, they say...orange, and green, respectively.

Is that weird? Do parents suggest/influence?

4 comments:

Deb said...

Fascinating idea. I don't have a favorite color, though I frequently lean turquoisy blue. But I also respond very positively to gold, greens, orange, purple, and sometimes red. It's a mood thing for me.

I catch myself dressing Alena in the mood color of the day. We often match. No doubt the colors we surround our children in will influence happy familiarity if not love.

Jane Babcock said...

Color is the hot topic at our house right now. I am letting Alysa and Steven choose the colors and do the painting on the bathroom and kitchen. It will be interesting to see what they come up with. The floor will be, "Gathering Place", a warm Behr brown, and the rest of the walls a light cream color. White ceilings. Thanks for your advice.

Emmalyn said...

I think I know/appreciate color more with having you as my Mother- DEFINITELY!

I have to fill the apartment with pictures or I am very unhappy with all the white.

Lisa Chin said...

I believe the colors of our childhood can influence our later color decisions. I think we either grow up loving the colors around us and embrasing them later or hating the colors around us and going the opposite direction!