Tuesday, April 20, 2010

The Next Day


(Photo from Wednesday 14 April, dinning room chandelier from IKEA).

I've been coming home for lunch. John made pot stickers yesterday, and we sat on the couch with our chopsticks (the dinning room table has been his office, spreading out court records that he is helping to put online). It was a perfect moment. I have to put my alarm clock on so I leave on time to make it back to work! We are evaluated by attendance and promptness.

This week I have thought a lot about what you can learn from strangers, sitting next to them for 8 hours a day in a classroom setting. On the form where we had to write where we were born, I saw at a quick glance (I wasn't spying) that my neighbor on the left was born in CA. We were talking later and I let slip that I knew where she was from. For a minute she thought I was physic. No, just sneaky. NO. Observant. One of my heroes is Sherlock Holmes. When I am cleaning out the microwave and see bits and pieces and clues I ask myself, "What would S.H. know from the evidence? What made this spot? What kind of marinara sauce...? Who did it?"

I peeked at a text message this same co-worker was sending her husband at his work: a picture of the guy sitting across from us. She had written, "Who knew, Laurence Fishburne is in our class?" I thought it was really funny, but couldn't say anything and ADMIT I was spying/peeking/being observant, again. Cute that she stays in touch with her sweetie (we don't have a texting plan, but I can see the advantages, yes, just like my mom was advocating!)

3 comments:

Jane Babcock said...

We should make a note on our google doc family phone and address list to indicate who is happy to receive texts. Unlimited is better than having to pay for ones that come in as well as ones you send.

Victoria said...

I have cultivated the myth that I am a master hacker, and can get on my kids' e-mails/Facebook, etc. anytime I want, and there is nothing they can do about it. This is actually not true. I have just gotten lucky a few times when they have stayed logged in. But the illusion in this case is more important than the reality. It is not a bad thing to think that your mom has eyes in the back of her head... and on your private computer stuff. So toe the line, buddy.

Victoria said...

And I hope you saw how that related to your post... haha! It just made me think of that, when you were psyching out your classmate with your powers of observation:)