Sunday, January 24, 2010

Driving Miss Daisy/Peony/Sunflower


One of my favorite things to do is go here. It is hard to explain all the reasons, but I always feel better when we leave after serving. Friday night I learned more about humble prayers, how it is more important to be united and fill in any blanks in your mind so you can say "Amen" at the end than to be contrary or judgemental.

There is peace in unity.

To stay peaceful I bring decorating books or magazines to read so I don't have to watch the DC traffic maneuvering. Traffic makes me nervous, and it can quickly deteriorate into "good feelings gone" if I start giving advice to the driver.

A few sunshine days in a row and I am starting to think about spring planting. I love flowers, bunches of them growing everywhere in the yard. Flowers all over the house. My silk flower collection grew from my years of one little stem on sale indulgence, collecting one color until I have a big bunch. I don't even care that they are pretend. They look good from a distance.

Pulling these thoughts back to the temple: it is a beautiful place, beautiful to look at (decorated very well) but it is more than surface eye-candy. It feels good, too. Peaceful. United. Loving. Welcoming. Nurturing. Coordinated. Purposeful. Growing. Encouraging. Truthful. Full of light. Clear contrasts. Intentional. De-cluttered. Forgiving. Clean.

That's the kind of home I want. It has to look good, but more importantly, feel good.

And there will be flowers!

3 comments:

Deb said...

We went to the temple Friday too! Good post.

Emmalyn said...

I am ready for spring and flowers too!

Jane Babcock said...

Peaceful, yes. Important to arrive peaceful to be open to that, away from the world. Love, Dad