Friday, April 16, 2010

Covenant to NOT GET ANGRY

I married a strong-emotions man. Passionate. Powerful feelings. He is good at talking through problems, getting things solved, out in the open, cleared away.
I think I mentioned we are taking the Marriage Enrichment class from John's parents during Sunday School time? We talked about the only time a couple should raise their voice at each other is when there is a fire. And that we choose to get angry as a secondary emotion. The first thing we feel is embarrassment, frustration, shame, hurt, confused, helpless, disappointment, fear.

Choose to not get angry. Don't criticize each other. Look for the good. Pray together, and pray for your relationship to be strengthened. Communicate better and more often. DATE! Go out without the kids.

4 comments:

Jess and Jason said...

It's funny that I had to choose to not get (STAY) angry last night. I know that is true, but it was good to read it written down and spelled out. Thank you!

Jane Babcock said...

Yes, that is true. Working in the temple taught us that if reactions aren't appropriate to play out in the temple, they aren't appropriate in our homes.

Lisa Chin said...

Thanks for the great reminder! Love it!

landbeck said...

I think this might be a lesson we could review with our kids on a daily basis.

Hourly?

Perhaps they will eventually tire of it!